Saturday, April 12, 2008

Uber Alles?

I may never get a chance to say this again without certain friends of mine claiming a moral victory: I really like Germany. Germany is a really cool country; and it’s pretty impressive that it can do so much and be so prosperous in such a comparatively short time. It’s been just over sixty years since most cities in Germany were obliterated by Allied bombings, and now it’s beautiful.

I think part of my affection for Germany stems from the simple fact that I feel comfortable here. I mentioned once that I loved Prague because I felt at home in the city, and Dublin was even better, if only because of the prevalence of the English language. I really am a Northern girl at heart I think, even if I grew up in the South under the most technical of terms. This seems to be a worldwide impression, as I am never happier than in a cold, damp city that feeds me sausage.

I understand the appeal of stretching out on a beach sipping sangria, and can’t deny the allure of absorbing UV rays, but I really am happier in my coat and scarf, braving the downpour for a coffee run. That’s not to say that I don’t like beaches, I just happen to like the northern ones, like Scotland or Canada. There’s something very appealing about Viking country, as well as the landlocked areas of mountain and river.

Simply put, Germany is a fabulous place. I’m feeling a little overwhelmed from this trip. We began in Riva, drove to Freiberg, then a day in Strasbourg (France), on to Heidelberg, day trip to Rothenberg, on to Bamberg, day trip to Nuremberg, then finally Munich; all of this over nine days. It’s a punishing schedule, and prohibitive to really getting a feel for a city or seeing many sights. I had lots of fun, and more than a few cultural experiences, and I can safely say that I’ll need another jaunt into Germany sometime in my future.

This trip belonged to the Political Science aspect of the semester, so I spent most days in meetings and watching power points about environmental policy and sustainability. Germany is all sorts of wonderful compared to many other countries with regards to sustainable development, and yet we’re still in trouble. As if that wasn’t enough fun, part of the trip including a visit to the BMW factory and seeing some of the research laboratories. I don’t really understand cars, but I do so love the nice machines that go fast.

Outside of the educational program, I had a full range of cultural experiences, mostly culinary: pastries everywhere and sausage. I have never eaten so well than those street vendors with delicious sausage. I must make a passing reference to the beer: it exists in Germany. As for the history; there’s lots. We saw quite a few rebuilt cities as a result of World War Two, and it’s amazing to consider the state the country was in only sixty years ago. And now it’s prosperous and pretty, as well as a world leader in environmental policies.

No comments: