Sunday, April 4, 2010

Clearly a Sign

From the Washington Post, the horoscope for the birthday March 20, 2010:

"You'll have the means to see more of the world this year. Moves are favored, as is travel, especially long distance. A change of venue brings something fresh and fiery to your personal life. Look for love where loving people gravitate, and you'll be basking in the affection of a very attractive someone this summer."

Now, I am by nature a vaguely superstitious person. I get a weird feeling when I step on cracks in pavement. I refuse to say the actual name of the Scottish Play except under very specific circumstances. I have few rituals that must be performed, but most were related to theatrical performances, and now that I spend less time in the theatre they have become unnecessary.

However....I do like my horoscope. I don't really jive with most forms of divination, but I like having a little note in the newspaper each day to justify why I do or not do things on my to-do list. And on my birthday I like to pay special attention. I mean, it's my birthday, surely the one day when a horoscope is speaking directly to me (and everyone else sharing my birthday).

What do I take from this particular horoscope? Simple. When I turned in my application to Galway a few days later, that I would be accepted and it would be decided that I'll be spending a month in Ireland. But why stop there? I doubt I'll be moving in the next year, and Ireland certainly qualifies as long distance. I should like to do more I think.

So off I go to Milwaukee in a few days to kick off my year of travel and discovery. Then to plan in earnest for Ireland. And if I do manage to bask "in the affection of a very attractive someone this summer", well.....I'm not one to complain. But I'm much more excited about seeing more of the world.

No comments: