Thursday, January 10, 2008

A New Friend

It's been quite some time since I last updated, but there's been little to report. I finished a semester, and went on break. No advancements in my travel plans beyond packing, and really the only interesting thing has been the recent introduction of a new traveling companion, who remains nameless.

I hope he does not remain nameless long. It's really tragic for him to be unable to make introductions, but he's new. He was quite literally born yesterday, and in his one day has only managed to acquire a scarf. Not quite a name, but we're working on it.

I am speaking, you should know, of my new bear. I spent the last week and a half making him from an old bear kit we picked up in Germany five years ago. He's a lovely cream color, with a sweet smile and darling black eyes. And really, a bear is the ideal travelling companion. Think of Paddington, Abner Smoothie, Aloycious, Winnie the Pooh. These are the great bears- great travelers, and fine companions. Perhaps I've had a few too many bears in my childhood, but I really think this bear is critical to the success of this entire experience. The shelf of bears I leave behind will simply have to cope.

As it is, I probably shouldn't have spent the last few days so focused on the bear; I ended my days at seven in order to finish DVDs and the bear. I'd spend hours on that, and ignore the many, many chores that needed doing. As a result, my last few hours in the States will involve some frantic last packing and things. Packets to be mailed, e-mails to be sent, and throwing many things into a box to be dealt with in four months. Does this mean I regret this bear? Not in the slightest, but I know that for London I'll have to make my days more productive to avoid this trouble again.

It's strange to think that the next time I post here or anywhere else I'll be six time zones away, with an ocean between me and everything I find familiar. It's a bit daunting if I take the time to think about what's really going to happen in only a few hours, which is why I try to not think about it. I simply have to go to the airport tomorrow, and get on a flight. I'll have to take quite a few things, as I'll be gone for some time. But not to worry, I'll come back. The return has already been planned. In four months time I'll be back at this desk, typing up some grand summation of the trip, and the bear will be named by then, I hope.

1 comment:

Cryptic Star said...

(hug) I'll miss you. Don't be scared, you're going to love it, I still dream about being in Japan, I miss it so much. Also, your bear's quest for a name reminds me of the Doctor. Not the Doctor Who doctor, the cool holographic doctor.

Good luck. I'll be anxiously awaiting your stories, as I doubt I'll ever get to Europe, or certainly not like you will. ^_^